UltraShape® Power Q&A with Dr. C
A bit of extra pudginess around the abdomen, thighs, or love handles can be difficult (if not impossible) to eliminate through diet and exercise alone. If you’ve reached your goal weight but still can’t seem to slim down particular problem spots, you may be interested in UltraShape® Power as a nonsurgical alternative to liposuction. Here, Denver plastic surgeon Dr. Frank Campanile responds to some of the most commonly asked questions about UltraShape® from his patients.
If you have a question about UltraShape® Power that’s not answered below, please feel free to contact us online today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Campanile is a board certified plastic surgeon who focuses on developing a customized approach toward each patient that can better help you meet your unique goals.
Q. I’ve Been Doing Tons Of Research On UltraShape® Power, But I Still Don’t Know If It Is The Right Procedure For Me. How Can I Know For Sure?
- Every cosmetic procedure can feel like a huge decision, and you should absolutely take your time deciding on the right option for you. That said, some patients can feel uncertain about UltraShape® Power because they aren’t sure if they’ll get better results from liposuction. My recommendation is that if you’ve done all the research you can and still can’t decide, then schedule a commitment-free consultation.
During a consultation, we’ll have the chance to discuss your body contouring goals, and I’ll tell you more about what you can expect from UltraShape® Power. I’ll also let you know if I think you may be a better candidate for liposuction, and we can go from there. You won’t need to schedule an appointment for the procedure at your consultation, as I encourage all patients to take their time making the final decision to move forward. Whenever you feel ready, you can let us know.
Q. What Are The Main Differences Between UltraShape® Power And Liposuction?
- Liposuction physically removes fat cells from your body using a combination of physical force and suction. UltraShape® Power, on the other hand, destroys fat cells using ultrasound energy rather than removing them directly. The dissolved fat cells are then removed gradually through your body’s own natural elimination processes.
UltraShape® Power results take a few weeks to a couple months to develop fully, while seeing final liposuction results can be disguised by post-op swelling for several months. You may also require a series of three to four UltraShape® Power treatments for optimal results, whereas liposuction usually only requires one procedure.
The main advantage of UltraShape® Power is that it’s noninvasive, meaning you won’t have to take time off work or schedule a recovery period. Additionally, if you’re concerned about anesthesia, UltraShape® Power may be the right choice for you. However, liposuction remains the best option for addressing bigger areas or for a larger volume of fat removal.
Q. What’s The Difference Between UltraShape® Power And CoolSculpting®?
- UltraShape® Power and CoolSculpting® are both nonsurgical alternatives to liposuction. However, CoolSculpting® uses a process called cryolipolysis to freeze fat cells, as opposed to UltraShape® Power, which dissolves fat cells with ultrasound energy. Cryolipolysis can be an effective method of reducing fatty deposits, but controlling and focusing temperature in a way that breaks down fat cells without damaging surrounding tissue is extremely complex.
Targeting the subcutaneous fat layer with ultrasound energy can be a far more reliable method of reducing fat without affecting any surrounding skin or tissue. Finally, the pinching of the CoolSculpting® procedure can be painful for some patients, whereas UltraShape® Power tends to feel more like a light vibration on the skin.
Q. Can UltraShape® Power Help Me Lose Weight?
- Patients are always advised to reach their goal weight prior to undergoing UltraShape® Power. It’s important to understand that the procedure is not meant as a weight loss alternative. This is because UltraShape® Power does not target visceral fat, which is the type of fat associated with diabetes and other health conditions.
Only superficial fat bulges (known as subcutaneous fat) can be reduced with UltraShape® Power, which will not result in a significant weight reduction. Perhaps more importantly, UltraShape® Power will not prevent future weight gain, so it’s important to maintain a healthy diet and stay active.
Q. How Long Does It Take To See The Results?
- I normally recommend that patients undergo a few UltraShape® Power treatments spaced a couple of weeks apart. Be sure that between treatments, you get plenty of exercise and eat a healthy diet to foster the fat elimination process. By a few months after your last treatment, you should have a pretty good idea of your final results.