Many women experience loose skin after having a baby. Wondering whether a mommy makeover could help? The truth about post-baby skin sagging can be complicated. Here’s what you can do on your own, and how to know when surgical intervention makes sense.
Can You Get Rid of Loose Skin without Surgery?
There are a few things you can try to help shrink your belly after having a baby:
- Eat healthy. Opt for clean, wholesome foods over processed foods. Eat a diet that’s high in proteins and healthy fats. Minimize your sugar intake and banish soda from your life.
- Exercise. Work out, rest, repeat. Exercising regularly helps burn fat and whittle away some of your post-baby bump. Core-strengthening exercises can help you strengthen the muscles in your abdomen.
- Drink lots of water. Hydrate your skin and help your body run more efficiently by drinking plenty of water. Plus, when you always have a bottle of water on hand, you’ll be less likely to swig a soda or other sugary beverage when you get thirsty.
Tummy tucks are very often included in mommy makeovers because pregnancy can leave you with loose abdominal skin that won’t respond to diet and exercise.*
Should You Seek a Mommy Makeover for Loose Skin?
As much as exercising, eating right and staying hydrated can help, sometimes these steps just aren’t enough. The hard truth is that your skin may never go back to normal after it stretches out from pregnancy. Frustratingly, some women even find that their loose skin becomes worse after they lose the rest of their baby weight. In such cases, surgical removal of the excess skin may be the best option, which is exactly why tummy tucks are so often included in mommy makeovers.*
*This information is for education only, and is not meant as a guarantee of results. Your results may vary.
- All About Lipo-Abdominoplasty
- Our 5 Top Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Which Body Contouring Options Are Right for You?