A mommy makeover is a customized procedure designed to help women get back their pre-baby body. It typically combines procedures that address areas of the body that change during pregnancy and childbirth. The most common procedures include a tummy tuck, liposuction, breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lift, and labiaplasty. While these procedures are the most common, as a customized procedure, many women consider other treatments, including a Brazilian butt lift (BBL). But can you add a BBL to a mommy makeover? While a Brazilian butt lift with a mommy makeover is possible, it is not always recommended. Here we take a closer look at the procedure and why a BBL requires special consideration.
Challenges of Adding a BBL
A Brazilian butt lift is a two-step surgical procedure. It begins with liposuction to harvest fat cells. These cells are then injected into the buttocks to increase volume. While this may seem like it fits well with a mommy makeover that includes liposuction, there are some additional things to consider.
- Fat Availability – Not all women choosing a mommy makeover have the amount of fat necessary for a BBL. While they may have liposuction to remove stubborn pockets of fat in the abdomen, this is not always enough for BBL surgery.
- Length of Surgery – A mommy makeover combines multiple surgeries into one procedure, and it is the surgeon’s responsibility to ensure that the combined procedures do not exceed a safe operative time. Adding a Brazilian butt lift to an already extended surgical time can increase your risk of surgical complications.
- Extended Recovery Time – While combining procedures in a mommy makeover means you only have one recovery period, the more procedures you have, the longer your recovery time is likely to be. With a BBL, you have at least two weeks where you can’t sit down, and, for optimal results, many recommend not sitting after a BBL for more than 10 minutes at a time for the first six weeks.
- Difficult Recovery – As you see above, a BBL limits your ability to sit during recovery. It also limits your ability to lie directly on your back. With a mommy makeover, you may have had a tummy tuck or breast enhancement procedures that require you to not lie on your stomach. Combining a BBL with these other body contouring procedures means you will have to sleep on your side and movement may be difficult and painful during your recovery.
When to Consider a BBL with Your Mommy Makeover
When it comes to adding a BBL procedure to your mommy makeover, there are some things to consider.
- In general, if you are having a tummy tuck included in your mommy makeover, it is most often recommended to not include a BBL.
- If you want both of these procedures, it is best to get the BBL first, and then have your mommy makeover performed three to six months later.
If you don’t plan to have a tummy tuck included in your mommy makeover, then adding a BBL often works well as long as you have enough fat for liposuction and fat transfer.
Dr. Campanile is one of the best plastic surgeons in Denver and is an experienced Brazilian butt lift and body contouring surgeon, helping many men and women achieve their body contouring goals. If you are considering a mommy makeover with a BLL, call 303-345-7476 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Campanile to help determine which procedures will best help you reach your body contouring goals.