As one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed in the United States, liposuction is a procedure designed to help eliminate areas of stubborn fat and aid in achieving your body contouring goals. Liposuction is often added to other procedures, such as a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover.
While liposuction may seem like an easy add-on, the fact is that liposuction is a highly detailed surgical procedure and, in an inexperienced hand, can cause harmful and life-threatening consequences. Choosing the right plastic surgeon for liposuction not only affects your results, but also your safety.
Risky in the Wrong Hands
Liposuction, as with all surgical procedures, comes with potential risks such as infection, contour irregularities, numbness in the treatment area, and reactions to the anesthesia. But that’s not all. In the wrong hands, liposuction can prove deadly.
Liposuction uses a cannula to suck out pockets of fat. Because of the nature of the tool, it is essential for the provider to know at all times where the tip of the cannula is in relation to organs in the body. Inexperienced providers run the risk of injuring internal organs, such as in the case of Hank Williams Jr.’s wife Mary Jane Thomas, who died from a punctured lung during a liposuction procedure.
What to Look for When Choosing a Liposuction Specialist
When performed by an experienced plastic surgeon, liposuction is considered a safe and effective procedure. While no surgical procedure comes without risk, finding a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon for liposuction helps to minimize your potential risks. Tips for choosing the right surgeon include:
- Find a surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
- Ask the surgeon about their experience with liposuction. How often do they perform liposuction procedures? Do they have before and after images where you can see their results?
- Find a surgeon and team that makes you feel comfortable about your procedure.
- Ask the surgeon where the liposuction will be performed. Is the facility accredited? Does it have life-saving support systems in place in case of a complication? Who administers your anesthesia and are they certified?
- Check the reviews from previous patients. Does the surgeon have consistent and recent reviews from happy patients?
Choosing the right surgeon is the biggest step in your liposuction journey. Dr. Francesco Campanile is a board-certified cosmetic surgeon with the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is highly skilled in plastic surgery, liposuction, and body contouring. To meet Dr. Campanile and discuss your liposuction procedure, call 303-345-7476 to schedule your consultation.